The Premier Sports Elite Ice Hockey League and Challenge Cup champions returned home from the weekend’s EIHL Playoffs in Nottingham on Monday having been denied a third and final trophy by the Cardiff Devils. Arriving to the Giants’ end of season awards night to rapturous applause from assembled fans and guests, memories of the weekend’s defeat quickly faded as the team marked the end of what has been an incredible season.
A total of 12 Awards were handed out on the night, with the winners decided by a mix of coaches, players, the club’s official supporters club and fans. The 2021/22 Stena Line Belfast Giants Award winners are:
- Defenceman of the Year presented by Decathlon: Griffin Reinhart
- Forward of the Year presented by Marketplace Superheroes: Scott Conway
- Unsung Hero presented by Harry Corry: Jeff Baum
- Top Points Scorer presented by One Stop Mortgage Shop: Scott Conway and JJ Piccinich (joint winners)
- President’s Award presented by John Small: David Goodwin
- OSC Young Player of the Year (25 and under) presented by Belfast Giants OSC: JJ Piccinich
- OSC Player of the Year presented by Belfast Giants OSC: Scott Conway
- Ian Barton Award (Hardest Worker): presented by June Barton: Ben Lake
- Coaches’ Player of the Year presented by Daly’s Hyundai: Mark Cooper
- Players’ Player of the Year presented by Harness: JJ Piccinich
- Fans’ Favourite sponsored by Belfast Harbour: Kevin Raine
- Most Valuable Player (MVP) presented by Stenaline: Tyler Beskorowany
Speaking after the Awards, Head Coach Adam Keefe said: “I could not be prouder of everything this team has achieved together this season. Coming out of the pandemic, we were determined to come back better, stronger and faster than ever, leaving everything on the ice for our fans and the city of Belfast.
“Winning doesn’t come easy. This season’s success has taken huge commitment and teamwork, not just from the players and coaches but from the staff, volunteers, our sponsors, partners and our fanbase. It’s great to come together one last time to celebrate what has been an historic season.”