It's a giant game day!

Belfast Giants play the
TONIGHT at 1AM — Miss it / miss out!

Official website of the Stena Line Belfast Giants

First Leg Devils Defeat For Giants

The Stena Line Belfast Giants opened up their Challenge Cup quarter-final series with the Cardiff Devils on a losing note, as the visiting side came into The SSE Arena and grinded out a 1-0 win. Despite the Giants throwing 38 shots on goal and Shane Owen stopping 22 of 23 shots, the Giants were shut out for their second game in a row.

The 2nd Leg takes place next Wednesday in Cardiff, face-off 7:30pm, and the game will be live on FreeSports.

Early Scrap

Though it took a while for the first goal to be scored, Wednesday night’s game had a lot of action early on. Captain Matt Pelech dropped the gloves and had a good tilt with Cardiff’s Mark Louis. Shortly after, Jordan Smotherman went on a partial break and rang a shot off the crossbar. The refs originally called it a goal, but went upstairs to video review to confirm it wasn’t in.

At 14:25, right after the Giants killed off a penalty, Joey Martin walked into the zone and wired a wrist-shot over Shane Owen’s glove to make the score 1-0. That would be the only goal of the period as the Giants skated into the first intermission down by one goal despite having a 12-10 lead on the shot clock.

Tight Second

The score remained 1-0 after 40 minutes of play as neither team was able to put a puck in the back of the net in the second period. The story of the second was the Giants’ struggle on special teams, as they failed to convert on three different power-play opportunities. Despite the deficit, the Giants carried a 23-18 lead in shots into the second intermission.

Shut Down

With the game on the line, Shane Owen made his biggest save of the night, robbing Joey Martin who was in close on a breakaway. The teams were playing at four-on-four, Martin got sprung in the offensive zone, deked out Owen, but the goalie reached his glove across the net to deny the wide-open opportunity.

Belfast would have a couple of opportunities in the final minute, but they weren’t able to get anything by goaltender Ben Bowns, as the final score ended up 1-0. The Giants threw 38 shots on Bowns, but he stood tall all game.

Next Up?

Belfast go to Dundee on Friday to face the Stars at 7:30pm. The Giants then return at The SSE Arena on Sunday against the Glasgow Clan in Elite League action before travelling to Cardiff for the Quarter Final 2nd Leg on Wednesday. Tickets are available online now at