It's a giant game day!

Belfast Giants play the
TONIGHT at 1AM — Miss it / miss out!

Official website of the Stena Line Belfast Giants

Stars Stun Giants With Saturday Home Defeat

The Stena Line Belfast Giants’ losing run continued on Saturday night as the visiting Dundee Stars edged out a 4-2 win at The SSE Arena. Despite the Giants throwing 45 shots on goal, they couldn’t solve Dundee’s Alex Leclerc and ultimately fell to an opportunistic Stars squad.

First Period Hole

Despite carrying the play and dominating on the shot clock for the majority of the first frame, it was the Dundee Stars who opened the scoring. The Stars got the puck down low in the Giants’ zone, fired a shot on goal that Shane Owen blocked with his pad, but Drydn Dow buried the rebound to give the Stars the lead. The goal came at 15:45 and the original shot and rebound goal were Dundee’s third and fourth of the game.

The Giants would fire 21 shots and put 11 on goal in the first period but Stars goalie Alex Leclerc stood tall, maintaining Dundee’s 1-0 lead.

Early Second Spark

It didn’t take the Giants long to erase Dundee’s lead in the second frame. After a scramble in front of the net left Leclerc on the ice, Kevin Raine picked up the puck down low and fed Mark Garside at the point who fired a clapper into the back of the net. The goal, which came at 23:36, was Garside’s first of the season.

The Giants would carry play for the majority of the second period just as they did in the first, but it was Dundee who skated into the intermission with a 2-1 lead. Curtis Leonard took a penalty for tripping and the Stars capitalised with the man advantage. At 38:49, Anthony Beauregard dragged the puck at the top of the zone and ripped a wrist shot past a screened Owen to take a 2-1 lead.

The Giants held a 29-18 lead in shots on goal after 40 minutes of play.

No Dice On The Comeback

Dundee would extend their lead to 3-1 just 57 seconds into the third period. With the Giants killing a penalty taken in the dying moments of the second, Kevin Dufour hit Elgin Pearce at the side of the net who fired a shot past a sprawling Owen.

The Giants would push hard to work their way back into the game, but Leclerc stood on his head the rest of the way. Belfast fired 16 shots on target in the third frame as they tried to mount a comeback, but Dundee would bury an empty-net goal at 59:42 to ice the victory. Bobby Farnham scored a goal with one second left on the clock, but it was too little too late, as the Stars took the game by a score of 4-2.

Next Up?

The Giants will complete their weekend in Coventry on Sunday, face-off 5:30pm. Next at home for the Giants is Friday 6th and Saturday 7th December against the Sheffield Steelers. Both games face-off 7pm and tickets are available online now at